The WJEC GCSE Performing Arts (Single Award - Dance) course seeks to encourage students to be inspired, moved and changed by following a broad, coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study. It aims to prepare learners to make informed decisions about further learning opportunities and career choices. Following a course in GCSE Dance will enable students to:
- Develop and demonstrate skills in a range of practical, creative and performance work.
- Actively engage in the process of studying performance in its various guises, in order to develop as effective and independent learners and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds.
- Develop an understanding of working in the Performing Arts industry.
- Understand the Performing Arts industry as a practitioner and as a spectator.
- Work imaginatively and creatively in collaborative contexts, generating, developing and communicating ideas.
- Reflect on and evaluate own work and the work of others.
- Understand the elements required to create performances for an audience:
Fluidity of line
Interpretation of music
Creativity of Choreography
If you enjoy dance, have plenty of energy and discipline and would like to develop the range of your dance skills, then the GCSE course is ideal for you.
Previous dance experience is necessary. Students must also attend a regular weekly “technique” class.
The course is available for students who are 13 years+.